[GRASS-user] Wingrass 6.4 with MSYS does not work

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 5 15:19:50 EDT 2010

Daniel Victoria wrote:

> I just installed WinGrass 6.4.0RC6

Get rid of 6.4.0RC6, it's known not to work well on Windows, use the
latest Wingrass instead, available from here:
http://josef.fsv.cvut.cz/wingrass/grass64/

> and I can get the Grass wxpython
> gui to work OK. The thing is that I also want to use the command line
> for some bash loops and R integration. So I have one question and one
> problem. Let's go for the problem first.
>
> 1) Problem: If it click on the Grass with MSYS icon the screen
> prompting for the location and mapset will show up but, when I select
> the location and click OK, Grass shuts down. Opening a msys windows
> and calling grass64 gives the following error:

Should be solved with a new installer, to make sure you could delete
any .grasswx6 file found on your system first.

> 2) Question: Can I integrate Wingrass and R? How do I run R from the
> grass command line? Should I use MSYS? because I can't get the windows
> command line functioning after I start wxpython gui.

On Windows, the easiest way is calling grass from R with initGRASS
from the R package spgrass6. After GRASS has been initialized for R,
you have access to grass commands from within R. For an example, see
http://geomorphometry.org/content/geomorphometry-r-saga-ilwis-grass

Go down to the part of the script with the grass example, adjust
loc <- initGRASS("C:/GRASS", home=tempdir())
as appropriate for your system.

Good luck,

Markus