[GRASS-user] Re: grass-user Digest, Vol 51, Issue 6

Luigi Ponti lponti at inbox.com
Mon Jul 5 17:17:29 EDT 2010

Dear Daniel,

I have a one-month-old (apologize) wingrass 6.4.svn installed from
http://josef.fsv.cvut.cz/wingrass/ on windows7.

> Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 17:11:39 -0300
> From: Daniel Victoria <daniel.victoria at gmail.com>
>

> [...] Opening a separate MSys console
> and executing /grass/bin/grass64svn will start the Select location
> window and after I click on Start, Grass crashes with the following
> error:

> $ grass64svn
> Cleaning up temporary files ...
> Starting GRASS ...
> ATENÇÃO: Attention!
> ATENÇÃO: Locking is not supported on Windows!
>           __________  ___   __________    _______________
>          / ____/ __ \/   | / ___/ ___/   / ____/  _/ ___/
>         / / __/ /_/ / /| | \__ \\_  \   / / __ / / \__ \
>        / /_/ / _, _/ ___ |___/ /__/ /  / /_/ // / ___/ /
>        \____/_/ |_/_/  |_/____/____/   \____/___//____/
>
> Welcome to GRASS 6.4.0svn (2010)
> GRASS homepage:                          http://grass.osgeo.org/
> This version running thru:               GNU Bash (Cygwin) (/usr/bin/bash.exe)

sounds like you are running through Cygwin ("GNU Bash (Cygwin)
(/usr/bin/bash.exe)") -- on my machine the MSys desktop link triggers a
welcome screen that at the same line says "Bourne Shell (/bin/sh)" (and
everything works as expected including the wxpython GUI):

    Cleaning up temporary files ...
    Starting GRASS ...
    ATTENZIONE: Attention!
    ATTENZIONE: Locking is not supported on Windows!
              __________  ___   __________    _______________
             / ____/ __ \/   | / ___/ ___/   / ____/  _/ ___/
            / / __/ /_/ / /| | \__ \\_  \   / / __ / / \__ \
           / /_/ / _, _/ ___ |___/ /__/ /  / /_/ // / ___/ /
           \____/_/ |_/_/  |_/____/____/   \____/___//____/

    Welcome to GRASS 6.4.0svn (2010)
    GRASS homepage:                          http://grass.osgeo.org/
    This version running thru:               Bourne Shell (/bin/sh)
    Help is available with the command:      g.manual -i
    See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
    If required, restart the GUI with:       g.gui wxpython
    When ready to quit enter:                exit

GRASS 6.4>

Do you by any chance have Cygwin bash.exe on your %PATH% environmental
variable?

As for the Python errors you mention, I am not sure but it may again be
a problem related to %PATH% settings. It is indeed possible to have
heritage Cygwin/GRASS and the new native Wingrass running on the same
machine, but care must be taken to avoid messing with the global %PATH%.

As for running R from GRASS, an approach I have found useful is to
follow the advice by Glynn Clements, i.e. not running GRASS from MSys
but instead use a simple DOS box started via a batch file that sets
required environmental variables to run GRASS, and then call the shell
executable sh.exe (shell scripts designed for Cygwin/GRASS run with
minimal adjustments -- mostly to cope with MSys path conventions
issues). Glynn has taken on this topic in a growing (thanks for your
patience, Glynn!) number of posts -- see for example:
http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/grass-start-bat-in-windows-tp4492202p4492202.html

Finally, when I have my GRASS-enabled DOS box, I just type R (of course
R needs to be in the %PATH%) and I am pretty much done.

I hope this helps and sorry if I misunderstood your questions,

Luigi