[GRASS-user] Beginner (Mac): How do I display a raster in Map Display window using line commands

I. Syncrasy syncrasy at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 22:15:54 EDT 2010

--- On Tue, 7/13/10, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Beginner (Mac): How do I display a raster in Map Display window using line commands
> To: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org, "I. Syncrasy" <syncrasy at yahoo.com>
> Date: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 8:57 PM
> I. Syncrasy wrote:
> > I'm a complete beginner using GRASS
> > 6.4.0 on a PowerPC Mac (OS 10.4.11).
> >
> > I using the "North Carolina" sample data.
> >
> > I am able to run line commands in the Output-GIS.m
> window
> > (lists, info, etc.), but I am not able to use line
> commands
> > to display graphical items in the Map Display window.
> For
> > example, if I run "d.rast Slope", the command
> apparently is
> > understood, but the Map Display remains blank.
> >
> > Here is the Output-GIS.m log:
> >
> > ------
> >
> > PNG: GRASS_TRUECOLOR status: TRUE
> >
> > PNG: collecting to file:
> >
> /Users/my_home_directory/grass/nc_spm_08/user1/.tmp/G5.local/891.0.ppm,
> >      GRASS_WIDTH=690, GRASS_HEIGHT=486
> >
> > ------
> >
> > Is there some special command I need to add to
> "target" the
> > Map Display window? Do I have to set up a special
> directory
> > first?
> >
> > (Note: I am able to display rasters using the GIS
> Manager
> > (GUI) window, so I know Map Display works, but I have
> > learn how to use line commands to accomplish the same
> > tasks.)
>

> First you need to have X-Windows installed (it comes on the
> Mac install
> DVD). Then the magic command line command is "d.mon x0" to
> open a X-monitor.
>
> As you discovered these can not be manually redirected to
> the main GUI
> at this time.
>

> regards,
> Hamish

Hamish,

Ahhh, yes I did try using an X-monitor earlier. It worked for raster display as you suggest. But when I tried to use "zoom" commands, I found that my Kensington Orbit trackball would not release the cursor to finish selecting the zoom area. Do I have to change the behavior of my right and left buttons?

I suspect I will have to create my map exercises twice: once in X-monitor to learn about line commands, and again in the GUI to create the actual map and have more control over layers. Is this the type of difficulty I should expect from GRASS on a Mac?

Thanks.