[GRASS-user] Re: Issues when reprojecting from a GCS to a PCS

Neil Best nbest at ci.uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 15 15:17:50 EDT 2010

Hanlie, judging from a quick scan of your problem you might consider using
gdalbuildvrt to build a virtual mosaic of the inputs and gdalwarp to
reproject the result using the VRT driver.  I have found this to be quite
elegant and efficient since you have accomplished your goal by creating two
tiny XML files, although you may have to edit them by hand if you want to
move the VRT files and adjust the paths to the real data, but it can be
done.  You can even open the VRTs in QGIS if you want to visualize before
importing.  In my experience the GDAL utilities set the resolution of in a
more sensible way that is described clearly in the docs.  If this is a
one-time operation then there is no down side to running it through two
layers of VRT vs. writing the reprojected data out to disk just to have
r.in.gdal write it yet again to your GRASS database.  Let me know if that's
enough to get you going or not.  Have fun!

Neil