[GRASS-user] elevation profile

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Thu Jul 15 15:25:44 EDT 2010

Hopefully a quick question that I'm struggling with.  (I'm a long-time GIS
user but trying to move my work to GRASS and other FOSS4G.)   I'm using
GRASS 6.4 RC6 on Windows XP.

I have a raster grid representing elevation at 2meter resolution. I have a
line shapefile representing roads (about 20 roads total).  I would like to
get ASCII text files of x,y,z at about 1 or 2 meter intervals along each
road.  Any ides of what I can try?

I thought v.drape might work. This converts my 2D road shapefile to 3D, but
I'm not sure where to go from there.  And this doesn't help getting 1 or 2
meter intervals.  I also tried r.profile but this requires input as a
listing of x,y coordinates, not shapefiles.  I know there's a step here I'm
missing.

- John

John Callahan, Geographic Information Scientist
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware