[GRASS-user] Re: Installing r.area

LeeDaniel Lee.Daniel.1986 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 12:09:35 EDT 2010

Hi ya'll!

Alright, r.area still isn't functional, but I think we might be a few steps
closer to the goal... I got the new and improved g.extension script from
http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4/scripts/g.extension/
and popped it as an executable into $GISBASE/scripts/, then changed the
rights so that I can use it. I tried it again. Bad news is, it still didn't
work. The good news is, my new error message is different from my last one!

GRASS 6.4.0RC6 (DornbirnTest):~ > g.extension r.area
Fetching <r.area> from GRASS-Addons SVN (be patient)...
A    r.area/main.c
A    r.area/description.html
A    r.area/Makefile
Checked out revision 42954.
Compiling <r.area>...
test -d OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu || mkdir -p OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu
gcc -I/usr/src/packages/BUILD/grass-6.4.0RC6/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/include
-O2       -DPACKAGE=\""grassmods"\"
-I/usr/src/packages/BUILD/grass-6.4.0RC6/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/include -o
OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/main.o -c main.c
main.c:19:23: fatal error: grass/gis.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/main.o] Error 1
ERROR: Compilation failed, sorry. Please check above error messages.

It's a lot shorter than the old error message because it didn't make
directories, apparently.

However, maybe I'm just really missing the point here, because the
directories are still there from the last time I tried to build it.

So much to that. As far as the other stuff is concerned:

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Again, this needs GRASS to be properly packaged. Perhaps the include/
> stuff was separated out into an extra grass-devel package for your distro?

Not sure. My distro is OpenSUSE 11.3 and I have the grass-devel package
installed. I used the packet manager to get it. I have found a directory
/opt/grass/include/ - could that be it?

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Please check if grass-dev (or whatever it is called in Ubuntu) is
> installed.
> Then retry.

Yep.

Thanks so much for the help!