[GRASS-user] Re: Installing r.area

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Jul 31 13:08:50 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 6:09 PM, LeeDaniel <Lee.Daniel.1986 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ya'll!
>
> Alright, r.area still isn't functional,

(you mean the installation via g.extension isn't functional on your machine)

> but I think we might be a few steps
> closer to the goal... I got the new and improved g.extension script from
> http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4/scripts/g.extension/
> and popped it as an executable into $GISBASE/scripts/, then changed the
> rights so that I can use it. I tried it again.

Perfect. In any case, it will be in the next release.

> Bad news is, it still didn't
> work. The good news is, my new error message is different from my last one!

No, it is the same...

> GRASS 6.4.0RC6 (DornbirnTest):~ > g.extension r.area
> Fetching <r.area> from GRASS-Addons SVN (be patient)...
> A    r.area/main.c
> A    r.area/description.html
> A    r.area/Makefile
> Checked out revision 42954.
> Compiling <r.area>...
> test -d OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu || mkdir -p OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu
> gcc -I/usr/src/packages/BUILD/grass-6.4.0RC6/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/include
> -O2       -DPACKAGE=\""grassmods"\"
> -I/usr/src/packages/BUILD/grass-6.4.0RC6/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/include -o
> OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/main.o -c main.c
> main.c:19:23: fatal error: grass/gis.h: No such file or directory

You see that grass/gis.h is missing which should be there in your
binary installation in include/.
Ah I just realise that it looks in
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/grass-6.4.0RC6/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/include
which is unlikely to exist on your machine, right?

>> Again, this needs GRASS to be properly packaged. Perhaps the include/
>> stuff was separated out into an extra grass-devel package for your distro?
>>
> Not sure. My distro is OpenSUSE 11.3 and I have the grass-devel package
> installed. I used the packet manager to get it. I have found a directory
> /opt/grass/include/ - could that be it?

Yes but does /opt/grass/include/ contain anything? Does it have a subdirectory
grass/ with a series of .h files? This are needed and not found above since
there is something wrong with your paths.

The relevant compile line is
make MODULE_TOPDIR="$GISBASE"

so it should find /opt/grass/ but it doesn't. What reports

echo $GISBASE
in a GRASS session?

Is it possible that you have two GRASS version installed?

Markus