[GRASS-user] LiDAR Data?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 10 13:51:08 EDT 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Markus Metz wrote:

> That sounds like these are no raw LiDAR data but already processed data.
> Raster grids, in this case the GeoTIFF and ESRI grid data, are usually end
> products after processing LiDAR data, and it would be interesting to know
> what was done there in order to judge if these raster grids are suitable
> for the planned analysis.

   I have the metadata files. The LiDAR data were processed and clipped to
standard 7.5" (1:24,000) topographic quad sheets. One is straight forward,
but the other quad is an amalgam of LiDAR data from 2004 and 2007 collected
under two or three different contracts with the city.

   Considering that I've never before worked with these data, have a lot to
learn about them, and need to work with a drainage basin that is partly in
each of the two topo quads, I suspect that I would not be able to complete
terrain and hydrological modeling by next Tuesday. There appears to be too
much for me to learn in too short a time, since I'm working on two other
projects with this one.

   Today I'll read up on LiDAR and make my decision tomorrow. If anyone wants
to see the metadata files to comment on the utility of the data I'll happily
pass them on.

Rich