[GRASS-user] Import, project

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 14:37:03 EDT 2010

stn wrote:
> I am new to grass and don't really know where to start.

here is a good place:
  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Help

also the GRASS book is very good.

also Markus's quick intro guides:
  http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/index.html

> Please give me some hints on
> 1) how to import+project a vector-shapefile  (containing one layer of
> non-overlapping administrative regions) with unknown
> projection+coordinate-system into a database with latitude/longitude

these should help:
 http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Importing_data
 http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/projectionintro.html

you have to create a GRASS Location for each source map projection, then
pull them all into the target Location with r.proj or v.proj.

> 2) how to import+project a e00-rasterfile into the same database
> (containing rasterpoints 1kmx1km, each with one scalar property)

not sure, v.in.e00 handles the vector side, probably r.in.gdal does
the raster side.

> 3) how to export an ascii/excel/csv-list of every raster-point with a)
> the corresponding scalar and b) the administrative region and c) the
> coordinates lat/long of the raster-point

r.out.xyz, or r.to.vect + v.out.ascii
maybe with some other custom magic along the way.

> I could not import because the files be imported have a different
> coordinate system and import was refused because of that.
>
> I tried to google for a commandline/gui-program that reprojects, found a
> few like shpproj, g.proj, m.proj, none of which seem to have anything to
> do with reprojecting a shape-file.

you were close, v.proj and r.proj are the two. v.proj for an imported
shapefile (v.in.ogr to import it). maps must import into a location of
their natural projection and be reprojected from there.

from the command line GDAL's ogr2ogr and gdalwarp can reproject shapefiles
and GeoTiffs etc directly.

> I use grass 6.4 on windows (linux is fine too) and have already created
> a workspace fitted for germany with lat/long-coordinates in an
> appropriate resolution.

ok. when importing maps GRASS generally ignores the current region settings
and uses the data's natural bounds and resolution.

Hamish