[GRASS-user] Mac Requirements for GRASS

Andrew Lewin andrew.lewin at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 21 15:44:43 EDT 2010

Hi Listers,

I would like to purchase a new Mac.  I am debating which type will get me the best bang for the buck.  I would like to know which Mac would be good to use for GRASS as I will be processing images, large databases, and crunching numbers.  I currently have a Macbook with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB of Memory.  I find that bathymetry layers for large areas, such as the Gulf of Mexico take a long time to process if I do any analysis.  I am looking at buying the iMac 27-inch with the 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and 4GB of memory. This machine is quite expensive.  Is there another option? Is it too powerful where I can buy another machine that will do the trick?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Lewin
andrew.lewin at sympatico.ca

President
Coastal/Marine Spatial Ecologist
Spatial-Conserve Incorporated

Associate
C-FOAM (Canadian Fisheries, Oceans and Aquaculture Management Group)
Telfer School of Management, University of Ottawa