[GRASS-user] Can't define new location with EPSG codes 3395, 2157, 2193, 2192

Peter Gardner geep999 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 12 13:19:06 EST 2010

Hi everybody,

I can't create a new location from EPSG code 3395 (WGS 84 / World Mercator).
I grab 3395 from the list of codes, or just enter 3395, and click "Define Location":

g.proj returns the following message:
ERROR: region for current mapset is not set
run "g.region"

GRASS lists Location newLocation with Mapset PERMANENT but I can't
 "Enter Grass". I am blocked by a popup:
Warning: <PERMANENT> is not a valid mapset

I click OK but nothings happens. So I can't proceed any further.

I get the same problem with:
2157 (Irish Transverse Mercator)
2193 (New Zealand Transverse Mercator)
2192 (France EuroLambert)

Anybody know how I should be using EPSG codes?
Or does this suggest a faulty installation of grass?
Or (perish the thought) a bug in grass?

Cheers,
Peter