[GRASS-user] translucency and svg output

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 25 11:12:21 EDT 2010

pete davidson wrote:

> And then we discover that the 'svg' produced by cairo using the above script
> is actually just a png in an svg wrapper..  At least for my particular
> install of Grass.  That's frustrating.  Ahh well, back to the drawing board.

Cairo falls back to rasterisation as soon as it encounters anything
which it might not be able to implement using vector operations.

For me, a simple "d.vect fields" produces "real" (vector) SVG output.
You might want to experiment with the command options (and the
environment variables used by the cairo driver) to see if a specific
feature is triggering rasterisation.