[GRASS-user] GRASS 7.0 - OS X install problem

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat May 8 16:19:45 EDT 2010

On May 8, 2010, at 2:38 PM, Stuart Edwards wrote:

>> That's because the startup forces Python to run in 32bit mode, because wxpython can't be built for 64bits yet (!).  And the python you have in /opt/local (macports?) is then probably 64bit-only.  GRASS is probably finding the macports python first because it's first in your shell PATH.
>>
>> Which python did you intend to use for GRASS?  If the macports python is 64bit only, they probably don't have wxpython at all.
>>
>> -----
>
>  Hadn't really considered which version to use ......... but obviously should.   Since opt installs itself at the head of the PATH, it always finds that version first.   I saw some discussion by you about specifying a GRASS_PYTHON - does that work and if so can you please provide details.

If you add to the PATH before configuring, it should find the system python for compilation.  Just make sure you have wxpython installed for the system or python.org (the wxpython included in the system is a bit old).  At runtime it will still fall back to macports.

Either you can default to the system (or python.org) python for everything by changing your .bash_profile to remove or reorder the macports bin dir, or change it just for GRASS by adding this to your .bash_profile

export GRASS_PYTHON=/usr/bin/pythonw2.6

There is already an internal wrapper in GRASS that handles the 32bit part.  It just needs to be able to find a usable python, either automatically (using the current PATH) or with GRASS_PYTHON.

> Came across this which seems relevant to the 32 / 64 bit issue.
>
> http://community.activestate.com/forum/using-32-bit-python-komodo-under-snow-leopard
>
> The Python that comes with 10.6 apparently honors an environment variable called VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT. If that's set to 'yes', invoking Python from /usr/bin/python brings Python up in 32-bit mode. By default, it comes up in 64-bit mode.

This is a convenience provided by the Apple build.  AND only in the /usr/bin/python[w] executable.  /usr/bin/python[w]2.6 is an alias to the framework python executable, and only responds to the "arch -i386" prefix.  Conversly, Apple's convenience executable only responds to the VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT method, and not to "arch -i386".

I don't recommend relying on the Apple convenience.

> Curious that I don't have any problem running the wxpython gui with GRASS 6.4
>
> Stu

Your compilation, or from my installer?  I'm not sure why this would be any different, in either case.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy