[GRASS-user] GRASS 7.0 - OS X install problem

Stuart Edwards sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com
Sat May 8 15:38:55 EDT 2010

On May 8, 2010, at 11:19 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On May 8, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Stuart Edwards wrote:
>
>> On May 8, 2010, at 9:44 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>>
>>> SVN updated so the Mac app starts the new python init.
>>>
>>> I don't know about the TclTk NVIZ problem.  I have a different one - no rule to make target anim_support.o.
>>>

>> Now I get the following error:
>>
>> SEsMacPro:~ stu$ '/Applications/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/grass.sh'; exit
>> Rebuilding Addon HTML manual pages index...
>> cp: /Applications/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/docs/html/grass_icon.png: No such file or directory
>> Rebuilding Addon menu...
>> Python 2.6.4 found.
>> arch: posix_spawnp: /opt/local/bin/pythonw2.6: Bad CPU type in executable
>> logout
>>
>> [Process completed]
>
> That's because the startup forces Python to run in 32bit mode, because wxpython can't be built for 64bits yet (!).  And the python you have in /opt/local (macports?) is then probably 64bit-only.  GRASS is probably finding the macports python first because it's first in your shell PATH.
>
> Which python did you intend to use for GRASS?  If the macports python is 64bit only, they probably don't have wxpython at all.
>
> -----

 Hadn't really considered which version to use ......... but obviously should.   Since opt installs itself at the head of the PATH, it always finds that version first.   I saw some discussion by you about specifying a GRASS_PYTHON - does that work and if so can you please provide details.  Came across this which seems relevant to the 32 / 64 bit issue.

http://community.activestate.com/forum/using-32-bit-python-komodo-under-snow-leopard

The Python that comes with 10.6 apparently honors an environment variable called VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT. If that's set to 'yes', invoking Python from /usr/bin/python brings Python up in 32-bit mode. By default, it comes up in 64-bit mode.

Curious that I don't have any problem running the wxpython gui with GRASS 6.4

Stu