[GRASS-user] Shapefile Export - run out of memory

Rebecca Bennett rabennett at ymail.com
Mon May 10 15:24:29 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I am trying to export some point data to a shapefile (admittedly a large number of points, in the region of 1950000 but I'm sure I have exported larger files before) and keep getting an error abut 1/3 of the way through the export regarding running out of memory (error message below). I initially thought this was a database issue so I have copied into a new mapset (and created a new database) for a smaller number (2) of the files.  This didn't solve the issue, so I am now wondering if it is a computer memory problem?

"Exporting 1958623 points/lines...
DBMI-SQLite driver error:
Cannot select attributes for cat = 401760
Error in sqlite3_prepare():SELECT * FROM Everleigh_p_from_IDW WHERE cat = 401760
out of memory"

Has anyone come across a similar error before / does anyone have any advice on how I might resolve / work around this?

I am running GRASS 6.4 on Ubuntu Hardy and windows XP with the same issue (apparently) on both.

Many thanks for your time,

Rebecca