[GRASS-user] dems from coordinate lists

Hanlie Pretorius hanlie.pretorius at gmail.com
Fri May 14 11:30:06 EDT 2010

Hi Micha,

I tried your suggestion after setting the region to 20m instead of the
raster DEM's 25m.:

v.surf.rst input="dem_2628cc_25m at C83" layer=0
elev="dem_2628cc_rst_elev" tension=40. segmax=40 npmin=120
dmin=9.998022 dmax=49.990111 zm  ult=1.0

This worked, but the differences between the raster DEM that I created
with r.in.xyz and the rst interpolated results are quite big - ranging
from -6.882202m  to +7.864258m.

It also ran fairly slowly. Without adjusting the npmin paramter from
the default (300) to 120 it literally ran for hours (Win XP, 3GHz CPU,
1GB RAM). Adjusting npmin to 120 didn't seem to affect the error range
of the outcome much.

Is there a reason why I should use r.surf.rst instead of v.surf.rst?

Or perhaps I should just import the points with r.in.xyz and leave the
DEM in this format for further applications (hydrological modelling)?

Regards
Hanlie