[GRASS-user] grass 7 monitor

Dave Roberts dvrbts at ecology.msu.montana.edu
Sun May 23 14:36:19 EDT 2010

Fiends,

     I'm a GRASS newbie trying to choose between GRASS6 and GRASS7 for a
new project.  I'm working in R and PostgreSQL, but have lots of Arc
stuff to import.

     I realize that GRASS7 did away with d.mon, but is there really no
replacement other than the full GUI?  If I enter

grass70 -text /path/to/GISDBASE/LOCATION/MAPSET

it starts up, but doesn't change the prompt to indicate it's actually
running.  However, it obviously is, and responds to commands such as

g.list vect

as usual.  In response to

d.rast layer

it calculates %s and then ends with no output.  I tried, for example,

d.cairo

to get a window to plot into, but no such command exists.  So, in
frustration I try

g.gui wxpython

and get the whole GUI (which I emphatically DO NOT want) just to get the
map console.  At that point, commands such as

d.rast layer

run without error but produce no output,and the GUI seems corrupted and
doesn't work either.

That's a long post, but the critical question is is GRASS 7 going to be
strictly GUI driven?  I hoipe not.

Thnaks, Dave
David W. Roberts                                     office 406-994-4548
Professor and Head                                      FAX 406-994-3190
Department of Ecology                         email droberts at montana.edu
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717-3460