[GRASS-user] grass 7 monitor

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun May 23 15:09:05 EDT 2010

Dave Roberts wrote:
> Fiends,
>
>     I'm a GRASS newbie trying to choose between GRASS6 and GRASS7 for a
> new project.  I'm working in R and PostgreSQL, but have lots of Arc
> stuff to import.
>
>     I realize that GRASS7 did away with d.mon, but is there really no
> replacement other than the full GUI?  If I enter
>
> grass70 -text /path/to/GISDBASE/LOCATION/MAPSET
>
> it starts up, but doesn't change the prompt to indicate it's actually
> running.  However, it obviously is, and responds to commands such as
>
> g.list vect
>
> as usual.  In response to
>
> d.rast layer
>
> it calculates %s and then ends with no output.  I tried, for example,
>
> d.cairo
>
> to get a window to plot into, but no such command exists.  So, in
> frustration I try
>
> g.gui wxpython
>
> and get the whole GUI (which I emphatically DO NOT want) just to get the
> map console.  At that point, commands such as
>
> d.rast layer
>
> run without error but produce no output,and the GUI seems corrupted and
> doesn't work either.
>
> That's a long post, but the critical question is is GRASS 7 going to be
> strictly GUI driven?  I hoipe not.
>
> Thnaks, Dave

Let's start with what operating system are you on and what installation
method did you use?

You want to make sure it works? then I would go with a stable release
not an unreleased in progress version, so GRASS 6.4 (Not sure why it's
not final release yet)
If you get GRASS 6.4 behaving properly then you might want to try 7.

GRASS 6.4 is also more likely to play nice with R packages like spgrass,
etc.

Enjoy,
Alex