[GRASS-user] grass 7 monitor

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun May 23 16:05:17 EDT 2010

Dave wrote:
>     I'm a GRASS newbie trying to choose between
> GRASS6 and GRASS7 for a new project.

unless you are a programmer who is willing to help with development, as a
new user go with GRASS 6.4. If for no other reason than it's well
documented and it's a less hard than trying to learn a moving target..

for any "real" work always use a stable version. (that goes for anything)

> I'm working in R and PostgreSQL, but have lots of Arc stuff to import.

not a problem. I'd love to see more PosgGIS+GRASS documentation, for now
there is this:

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/PostGIS
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics
http://www.surfaces.co.il/?p=645

and Martin's bulk data import tool (wxGUI file menu)

>     I realize that GRASS7 did away with d.mon,
> but is there really no replacement other than the full GUI?

there is. look for wximgview and ximgview in the visualization/
directory of the grass7 source code.

:: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/38217/focus=38253

have a look for a left over map.ppm file wherever you ran your seemingly
do-nothing d.rast from.

Hamish