[GRASS-user] 3D spatial query

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Oct 8 08:01:45 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Anna Hodgkinson
<anna.hodgkinson at thehumanjourney.net> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am new to both this list and GRASS< so please bear with me.

Welcome here!

> What I would like to achieve is a 3D "spatial query".
>
> I have a 3D points vector layer (imported from a shapefile) which represents archaeological finds data. In addition to this I have volume layers (3D rasters) for individual deposits.
> I would like to select and either extract or update the finds data according to deposit, but cannot find a command that does this.
>
> I have managed to successfully run v.what.rast - but then realised that this only works in 2D.

You would need a new v.what.rast3d module. Perhaps the code of
r3.stats could be helpful for
that in order to see how to obtain voxel info (I thought we had a
r3.what but that's apparently
not the case).

> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Some programming seems to be needed for this.

Markus