[GRASS-user] getting started (stuck) with GRASS 2.

R. Amir Landscape Architect ruvy at ruvyamir.co.il
Sun Oct 10 08:54:21 EDT 2010

Hi

I need to present early this week landscape analysis of a site and thought it may be an opportunity for me to leave microstation (my cad program) and "get my feet wet" in GIS. Read as much as I could find about free gis, downloaded and installed the files needed for Grass 6.4, created the needed directories and started it. unfortunately all I have managed to get oen is the terminal box and the first wizard screens. In it I have tried several ways to create a localization to Israel and my site (including use of georeferenced dwg file and prj files but nothing was added to the directory or to the list and there no way to turn on the MapSet preparation button.

I am just a landscape architect - no programer, no knowledge of compiling or script work which may tell you I shouldn't even dare trying but I am curious and see some potential in it for landscape evaluation.

I intend to buy the book but need to find out first if GRASS 6.4 is something I am able to use at work... If at all possible I would like to be able  preferably also to be able to load/import GIS drawings and DB from ArcInfo, microstation geography etc. For this initial trying I have a 3d CAD survey of a mountain in .dwg format. Based on it I want to produce slope analysis, viewshed analysis and land use analysis. I also have a folder sent to me from an ArcInfo user with the following file types: .dbf  .sbn  .sbx  shp  .shp.xml  .shx  .prj. I trust that unlike me they will mean something to you.

I am running it on an imac 24

Best regards
Ruvy
ראובן (רובי) עמיר - אדריכל נוף מתכנן סביבה
Reuven (Ruvy) Amir Landscape Architect

ֿruvy at ruvyamir.co.il
www.ruvyamir.co.il
TelFax: 972-9-9580440