[GRASS-user] Re: getting started (stuck) with GRASS 2.

LeeDaniel Lee.Daniel.1986 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 11:26:44 EDT 2010

Hi Ruvy,

GRASS can definitely do all the stuff that you listed. I've never worked
with the DWG format, but I believe there's a module that lets you import it
called v.in.dwg. As far as importing the Arc data, it sounds like you're
wanting v.in.ogr. That's the module used to import shapefiles, which are the
formats you're talking about.

Buying the book is definitely a good idea, because getting started with
GRASS isn't necessarily as easy as with other GI-Systems. However, you'll
find that you can do a whole lot more with GRASS than with many other
systems. As it sounds like you've already set the location of your GRASS
database, you need a location and a mapset to get started. For the location,
you need a coordinate system - try using one of your georeferenced files to
create that, like your .shp from the Arc user's data. As soon as that's done
you can create mapsets that are geographically or thematically sorted - as a
practice you might want to just open up your "PERMANENT" mapset and import
some data into it, set the region settings to match your data and play
around.

Anyway, those are just some fast starter tips, but I would definitely
suggest getting the book. All your data should be compatible, the functions
you're looking for are there - I hope this helps you a bit further :)

Best,
Daniel