[GRASS-user] Estimating Albedo from Landsat

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Oct 14 18:57:06 EDT 2010

[ back again... :-) ]

Nikos wrote:

> > > Downloaded:
> > > - extra: LT50160351988258XXX03 (includes visible clouds - maybe good for
testing?)

Hamish:

> in the GloVis preview I only see a few clouds in the NE corner
> for that date. (Sept 14, 1988)

Right. I specifically selected a scene with a few visible clouds. Isn't this a
"good" quality test for the module (instead of using an "easy" scene full with
clouds)?

> Maybe 1991/10/25 is another good scene for a cloud test? (looks
> like 20% high cumulus with shadows)

Yep, why not. Will order.

> Note the % cloud cover in the GloVis previewer is (AFAIU) using
> the same ACCA algorithm as i.landsat.acca, so the result should
> be similar. (??)

hmmm... have to check.

> For the Sept 14, 1998 example the GloVis info says 0% cloud
> cover, but maybe that data is old and the latest ACCA says
> something else?

> > # rgb colors for 742
> > i.landsat.rgb r=lsat5_1988.2 g=lsat5_1988.4 b=lsat5_1988.7
> > strength=96
> > d.rgb r=lsat5_1988.2 g=lsat5_1988.4 b=lsat5_1988.7 #
> > obvious clouds

> maybe i.landsat.dehaze is worth trying before i.landsat.rgb?

> > # toar
> > i.landsat.toar band_prefix=lsat5_1988 method=uncorrected \
> >
> >   sensor=5 product_date=1988-09-14 date=1988-09-14 \
> >   solar_elevation=48.6773844
>
> do not assume production date is the same as acq. date; check
> metadata values against values in the source code.
> For the Mar 31, 2000 sample data it made a difference.

ok!

--%<-----
> > - obvious mis-detections (commission errors) found within
> >
> >   - n=188310 s=168270 w=618870 e=636150 (bare ground?
> >
> > urban area? not sure
> > about the confusing land cover/class here...)
> >
> >   - n=219030 s=180510 w=646410 e=655740 (road)
>
> ? maybe google maps satellite view helps if the landsat is too
> coarse to ID features.
>
> >   - in the borders due to the non-identical extent of all bands (!?)
>
> I've seen something similar, maybe r.series to accumulate NULLs
> in all input bands and use that as a MASK?
>
> > - categories 7 and 8 seem to be empty, category 9 looks
> > very messy
>
> cat 7,8 are undefined, cat 9 probably has more false positives
> in warm land, cat 6 (cold cloud) probably has more problems in
> snowy areas.

> > Could it be that non-cloudy acquisitions are mistreated by
> > the algorithm?
>
> The paper by Irish listed in the i.landsat.acca man page is
> worth reading, it explains a lot and points out where the
> algorithm does not do well.
>
> > I can't clearly recognise clouds in the landsat
> > scenes included in NC data set
> > (both the 1987 and the 2000 scenes).
>
> I'd guess that they were specifically chosen to avoid days with
> obscuring clouds.
>
> > Will (then) the algorithm work (only) with (very) cloudy
> > data?
>
> One thing the paper mentions, and I've observed, is that it does
> not do well with thin wispy cirrus clouds. Apparently MODIS does
> a bit better there because it has a detector in the needed 2um
> range to pick those up, while the Landsat only has 11um which
> misses those cloud tops. (IIRC)
--%<-----

Will check the above at some point.

> fyi, I've just added what we know about the NC 2008 dataset
> Landsat images to the grass wiki:
>  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/LANDSAT#Sample_data

Thanks, Nikos