[GRASS-user] Which version is advisable - SVN or stable

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Oct 17 12:19:20 EDT 2010

On 10/17/2010 08:11 AM, Chethan S wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I am a PG student using GRASS GIS and R for my dissertation work in Ubuntu
> 10.04. As of now in the ubuntugis PPA, GRASS 6.4.0 version rc6 version is
> available. As I always want to use the latest stable version available and
> now since the stable version 6.4.0 is available, I have two options -
>
>    1. Compile from source code which cannot be updated automatically.
>    2. Using Weekly 6.4-svn snapshot which gives me the advantage of using
>    the latest automatic updates
>
> I am not able to decide upon which is suitable for me. I need a stable
> environment. In addition to this I also use R in combination with GRASS
> (spgrass6). Therefore it becomes essential that this interface should not
> break. Can anyone help me decide. I would be glad to know the advantages of
> one over other.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chethan S.

My understanding from the Ubuntugis folks (there is a list specific to
them) is that 6.4 rc6 is essentially the same, most changes after that
were targeted at windows fixes. That said 6.4 should make it into the
repo soon and I would advise you to just wait for it especially if it's
working with R and spgrass in it's current state.

Your other 2 options listed are both less stable and option 1 could get
tricky to get it working with R if any of the dependency linking goes wrong.

Thanks,
Alex
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu