[GRASS-user] Which version is advisable - SVN or stable

Chethan S chethanuniversal at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 11:11:50 EDT 2010

Greetings!

I am a PG student using GRASS GIS and R for my dissertation work in Ubuntu
10.04. As of now in the ubuntugis PPA, GRASS 6.4.0 version rc6 version is
available. As I always want to use the latest stable version available and
now since the stable version 6.4.0 is available, I have two options -

   1. Compile from source code which cannot be updated automatically.
   2. Using Weekly 6.4-svn snapshot which gives me the advantage of using
   the latest automatic updates

I am not able to decide upon which is suitable for me. I need a stable
environment. In addition to this I also use R in combination with GRASS
(spgrass6). Therefore it becomes essential that this interface should not
break. Can anyone help me decide. I would be glad to know the advantages of
one over other.

Regards,

Chethan S.

--