[GRASS-user] r.out.pov scale question

Adam Dershowitz, Ph.D., P.E. adershowitz at exponent.com
Wed Oct 27 12:07:43 EDT 2010

I have been trying to use r.out.pov but something is not clear to me from the documentation, and examples I can find on the web.
If I use hftype=0 (the default) then, as I understand it it, each step, from 0-65535 represents one map unit (meters in my case).  That is giving me too much "stair-stepping" in POVRAY.
I think that part of the issue is that there is too much rounding of elevations.  So, I decided to try hrtype=1.  As I understand it that will scale the height of the image to use more of the range (my map just goes from 61-1086 meters).  But, I can't seem to figure out how much it scales by.  There is also the scale= option in r.out.pov, but I am not sure if that is a multiplier or a divider?
This is important because I need to then scale the heighfield in my POV file.  If I use hrtype=0 then this is correct:
scale < dx, 65535, dy >

But, if I use hftype=1, what is the correct value for the above scale command?  Is it 65535/1086 (max height in the map?)
65535/(1086-61)  (vertical range of my map?)

If I use scale=10 then should it be?
scale < dx, 65535/10, dy >
scale < dx, 65535*10, dy >
scale < dx, 10, dy >

Or should I use scale=0.1?  Or should I use r.out.pov scale=65535/1086

Thanks,

--Adam