[GRASS-user] Re: reclassify raster based on distribution

Marcello Gorini gorini at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 16:22:35 EDT 2010

> Timmie says:
>An assiciated question:
>How do I get a diagram of the frequency distribution of
>the floating point values of a raster?
>
>I tried histogram but I cannot get the label on the x and y axis.
>
>Something like a plot of the r.report output.

Hello Timmie,

Not really an answer, but maybe some ideas.

GRASS does not seem to be really powerful with respect to statistical plots,
so what you could do is to use a combination of GRASS+Shell+Python, more
specifically the library Matplotlib of Python.

I tried R for a while, but since I am not very good at scripting, Matplotlib
turned out to be much more user-friendly.

You can parse the output of GRASS modules using unix commands and send them
to a python script that uses Matplotlib. You can see below an example of the
kind of plots I've been doing in this way.

http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/file/n5680166/sample_feature_signature.png

The best way to get going I would say is to look at their examples gallery
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/gallery.html , then find the example that
better fits your needs and modify the code.

Hope it helped a bit.

Cheers,
Marcello.