[GRASS-user] d.mon and monitor frames

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Sep 4 11:28:40 EDT 2010

Damian M wrote:

> I am experimenting with a very simple Python script that uses frames in a PNG
> monitor.  Does d.barscale at=xy describe the xy from top-left in percent
> distance from the monitor or the frame?  The verbiage in the documentation
> uses "frame," but I can't seem to make it behave the way I would expect it
> to given that.

It should be the frame.

Are you using a PNG monitor (d.mon start=PNG), or immediate rendering
(GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE=TRUE; enabled by default on Windows)?

If it's the latter, commands which rely upon persistent state (e.g.
d.frame, d.font) don't work; the driver is re-initialised for each
command. In 7.0, you can use the GRASS_FRAME environment variable to
specify the frame for a command, but there isn't any equivalent in
6.x.