[GRASS-user] Download the new release 6.4.0

Stuart Edwards sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com
Fri Sep 10 14:33:34 EDT 2010

On Sep 10, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Stuart Edwards <sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com> wrote:
>> As a suggestion, the /download/index page doesn't add much to the download experience and may be a little confusing.
>
> Mhh, there is only one relevant link as per-operating system provided at
> http://grass.osgeo.org/download/
>
> Why confusing? It may be so, please explain to make me understand.

Sorry - poor explanation - if I'm at /download/, and then hit 'Software' in the the menu to the left, I find myself at /download/index.php which is the same screen so until I spot the 'other platforms' link in the center orange box I'm stuck. (This is OS X / Safari behavior)

The orange box in the center looks to a casual user as if it is the Mac download box - maybe we need to give some more prominence to the other binaries by name in this box?

>>  Perhaps the download link should go directly to the /download/software.php page?
>
>> From newcomers I got lots of feedback to avoid the complex table
> as landing page... so I made the "new" one (some months old).

but doesn't it just lead to the same place and require the user to make the same analysis of their needs?

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of all the great work done on GRASS.

Stu

> Markus
>
>> Stu

>>> As MarkusM pointed out, just go here:
>>>
>>> http://grass.osgeo.org/download/
>>>
>>> Please tell me/us how to improve the Web site to avoid such problems.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> Markus