[GRASS-user] Download the new release 6.4.0

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Sep 10 19:29:32 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Stuart Edwards <sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Stuart Edwards <sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com> wrote:
>>> As a suggestion, the /download/index page doesn't add much to the download experience and may be a little confusing.
>>
>> Mhh, there is only one relevant link as per-operating system provided at
>> http://grass.osgeo.org/download/
>>
>> Why confusing? It may be so, please explain to make me understand.
>
> Sorry - poor explanation - if I'm at /download/, and then hit 'Software' in the the menu to the left, I find myself at /download/index.php which is the same screen so until I spot the 'other platforms' link in the center orange box I'm stuck. (This is OS X / Safari behavior)

ah, interesting, so...

> The orange box in the center looks to a casual user as if it is the Mac download box - maybe we need to give some more prominence to the other binaries by name in this box?

apparently there is a browser recognition problem. Can you please
send me a screenshot off-list? The Safari simulators out there do not
work right now (I'm on Linux).

>>>  Perhaps the download link should go directly to the /download/software.php page?
>>
>>> From newcomers I got lots of feedback to avoid the complex table
>> as landing page... so I made the "new" one (some months old).
>
> but doesn't it just lead to the same place and require the user to make the same analysis of their needs?

This is what I exactly wanted to avoid :) It should be pretty straightforward
as it is intended for Windows and Linux users.

> Not a big deal in the grand scheme of all the great work done on GRASS.

Still it should be solved! The easier the better IMHO.

Markus