[GRASS-user] lots of "The application failed to initialize properly" in 6.4.0 on Windows

Luigi Ponti lponti at inbox.com
Sun Sep 12 20:13:58 EDT 2010

Hi there,

Not sure this is related -- sorry if I should have started a new thread.

I have a WinGRASS-6.4.SVN daily build of last May 29 installed in
"C:/Program Files" on Windows 7, and have been running a set of GRASS
shell scripts no problem under this setup. Now I have installed also
WinGRASS-6.4.0-1, and running the same scripts brings up some issues.

In particular, it seems that 6.4.0-1 has trouble deleting vectors via
g.mremove, which also Maciek reported as problematic and that is why I
replied to the present thread.

For example, a cleanup subroutine in a script includes the following
command:

    g.mremove -f vect=map*

that in 6.4.SVN works fine:
    Removing vector <mapBloomday_Olive_11set10_Avg>
while in 6.4.0-1 doesn't:
    Removing vector <mapBloomday_Olive_11set10_Avg>
    ATTENZIONE: Unable to delete file

'C:\cygwin\home\andy/latlong/luigi/vector/mapBloomday_Olive_11set10_Avg/hist'
    ATTENZIONE: couldn't be removed
    ATTENZIONE: <mapBloomday_Olive_11set10_Avg> nothing removed
and it fails to delete three more vectors the same way. However, rasters
do get deleted.

In my %PATH%, I see no sign of GDAL.

I do have two versions of winGRASS around, but for that matter also a
Cygwin version and an OSGeo4W one.

(Unrelated: is there a way to get GRASS messages 100% in English while
working in an Italian locale?)

Regards,

Luigi