[GRASS-user] lots of "The application failed to initialize properly" in 6.4.0 on Windows

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Sep 21 04:36:58 EDT 2010

Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> >> Another possibility is an incompatible version of one of the
> >> (many) libraries which GDAL uses. Do the GDAL utilities (gdalinfo
> >> etc) work?
> >
> > They don't. Same error.
>
> Dependency Walker http://www.dependencywalker.com/ says:
>
> ---
> Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information for "c:\program
> files\grass-64\extralib\LIBPQ.DLL" contains errors. This application has
> failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.
> Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).
> Error: At least one required implicit or forwarded dependency was not found.
>
> [ ? ] MSVCR80.DLL Error opening file. The system cannot find the file
> specified (2).
> [D? ] IESHIMS.DLL Error opening file. The system cannot find the file
> specified (2).
> [D? ] WER.DLL Error opening file. The system cannot find the file
> specified (2).
> ---
>
> Full output attached (g.region.txt.bz2).
>
> I found a copy of MSVCR80.DLL in
> C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd
> and copied it to C:\WINDOWS\system.

It should be system32.

> This got rid of that one missing
> dependency, still the other two remain.
>
> And there is no trace of them on my system.
>
> By google they seem to be related to some MS Movie Maker issue (I
> haven't tried searching hard I admit). Time to reinstall Windows :)?

Apparently, IESHIMS.DLL and WER.DLL are specific to Vista and later.
They shouldn't be required (and probably won't even work) on other
platforms, but Dependency Walker complains about any DLLs which it
can't find, regardless of whether they're actually required. All of my
GRASS executables cause Dependency Walker to complain about a missing
MSJAVA.DLL (required by MSHTML.DLL), but they still work.

The missing MSVCR80.DLL would be a real problem. This file is part of
the Visual Studio 2005 runtime. People often forget to bundle the
MSVCRxx.DLL files because so many systems already have them (although
they aren't part of the OS install), so the error is only discovered
when installing on a relatively clean system.