[GRASS-user] Unable to load gdal library error

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 08:36:35 EDT 2010

Hi list,

I compiled Grass 6.5 svn from source in Ubuntu 9.10 and it was
apperently working OK. I then loaded a bunch of srtm tiles using
r.external but, when I tried to patch them with r.patch I recieved the
message: ERROR: Unable to load GDAL library. I also cannot display the
srtm tiles imported using r.external in the Grass Map. However, I can
iimport the srtm tiles using r.in.gdal and then raster display works
fine. My idea is to bring several SRTM tiles in grass using r.external
and then use r.patch. I was hopping not to use r.in.gdal in order to
save disk space...

Why is it that r.in.gdal works but r.external don't?

Thanks
daniel