[GRASS-user] Re: Import question

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Thu Sep 23 03:13:07 EDT 2010

  On 23/09/2010 03:47, Hamish wrote:
> The fundamental and fantastic thing to realize about r.reclass is that is
> doesn't actually write a new map, it creates a virtual map based on classes
> of the original. It acts as a seamless filter between you and the data.
> With a bit of imagination it can be an extraordinarily effective tool,
> which after many years of using GRASS I think I'm only beginning to tap.

I am actually using r.reclass quite frequently in batch processing. I
read about the concept that a reclass map is some sort of a lightweigt
virtual map, but for simple-minded GRASS users like me, r.reclass is
just another map-creating raster module. As the documentation states:

 > As far as the user (and programmer) is concerned, that raster map has
been created.
http://grass.osgeo.org/gdp/html_grass64/r.reclass.html

For quite a while, I used to always align the current region settings
with the base map before running r.reclass. After some time, I noted
that this isn't necessary, as the generated virtual map is always based
on the full extent of the base map and its original resolution.  I just
couldn't find this mentioned in the documentation.

Hermann