[GRASS-user] Error with g.mapset in Linux (ubuntu)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Sep 23 10:49:47 EDT 2010

Helena Herrera wrote:

> I have sent an email a couple of days ago reporting an error with g.mapset
> on Windows. Now I have also a problem with g.mapset on linux (a different
> one)
> When I do:
> g.mapset mapset=Regional
>
> I get this in Output command window:
>
> Erasing monitors...
> PNG: GRASS_TRUECOLOR status: TRUE
> PNG: collecting to file: map.png,
> GRASS_WIDTH=768, GRASS_HEIGHT=501
> ERROR: PNG: couldn't open output file map.png

This suggests that you don't have write permission on the current
directory.

In 6.x, g.mapset restarts any active monitors, as any information
which they are storing will be invalid in the new mapset. By default,
the PNG driver sends its output to the file "map.png" in the current
directory; if you don't have write permission on the current
directory, you will get an error.

You can prevent this by specifying the PNG driver's output file using
an absolute path, e.g.:

	export GRASS_PNGFILE=`pwd`/map.png