[GRASS-user] Unable to load gdal library error

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 01:00:15 EDT 2010

Daniel wrote:
> >> r.external [...]
> >> ERROR: Unable to load GDAL library.
..
> It's strange cause I can use gdalinfo and gdal_translate on the SRTM
> tif tiles and last night I patched them using gdal_merge.py. Also,
> r.in.gdal works fine. And I can run r.info on the tiles imported using
> r.external. But I can't display them or query the values (r.what also
> gives ERROR: Unable to load GDAL library).

try

ldd `which r.what`

and examine if the GDAL library versions are consistent with what you
think it should be using (`gdalinfo --version` and ldd `which gdalinfo`)

if gdal was upgraded after grass was built, grass may need to be rebuilt
against the new version of gdal..

> However, since I'll be running r.terraflow on this huge SRTM image,

MMetz will suggest you try the new r.watershed too :-)

> would it be faster to import the image and then run r.terraflow?

probably.

Hamish