[GRASS-user] snap point to line/break line at given points

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Apr 18 05:55:24 EDT 2011

On 18/04/11 08:19, Johannes Radinger wrote:

> Am 16.04.2011 um 17:25 schrieb Daniel Victoria:
>
>> Not sure how to split and label the rivers but to snap the point to
>> the closest river you could use v.distance
>
> I also thought about v.distance. There I get the coordinates of the
> closest points on the new line (stdout). I just have to create a new
> pointfile from the standard output coordinates...or is there any
> simpler way?
 >
> And I also still don't know how to split the lines at these points.
> I thought about v.split but here are segemnts created at equidistant
> breakpoints and one can only set the distance in metres but
> it is not possible to use coordinates as input...anyone knows how
> to do that?

v.edit tool=break coords=CoordinatesOfYourPoints

v.net option=connect + some cleaning afterwards might be another
possible solution. For each point, it will create a line connecting it
to the river, breaking the river at the intersection.

v.distance should be able to do the labelling for you.

Moritz