[GRASS-user] Ability to model flash floo

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Aug 4 23:10:47 EDT 2011

Ian,

You might be able to use r.watershed (under raster/hydrologic modeling/watershed analysis) to do this. Input your raster of rainfall accumulation as flow accumulation per cell. Then look at the accumulation output. It should be in the same units as your rainfall inputs and should show you the amount of water that accumulates per cell from rainfall and upslope runoff combined. If you convert this to water depth per cell (it may already come out this way depending on your input), you can see how much flooding there is in each cell.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)