[GRASS-user] Ability to model flash flooding

peter.loewe at gmx.de peter.loewe at gmx.de
Fri Aug 5 03:32:11 EDT 2011

Hello Ian,

>To learn how to use grass I've been trying to solve a real world
>problem. The problem that I chose was the flash flooding which occurred
>in south eastern Queensland. I'd like to see if grass could have
>provided reasonably accurate predictions and see if it could be used as
>a warning system.
>Ideally what I'd like to do is use the archived radar rainfall
>information from http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR503.loop.shtml#skip
>which can be found on http://gw.barratt.com.au/radar/IDR503/2011/01/10/
>I am intending extrapolate the rainfall rate using the Z value
>conversions recommended for east coast lows as per
>http://www.catchment.crc.org.au/pdfs/technical200207.pdf
>and then convert the rainfall rate rasters to the resolution of the
>aster dem.
>Any thoughts would be appreciated.

some earlier weather-radar related work with GRASS can be found here:
http://gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grass04/viewpaper.php?id=44

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9671.2004.00178.x/abstract

http://opus.bibliothek.uni-wuerzburg.de/frontdoor.php?source_opus=759&la=en [-> the document is in german, but the technical appendices might be of interest for you -> Z/R realtionship, etc.]

FWIW here's study concerning visual quality assessment for 3D radar-met data:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/69767645/4D-data-visualisation-and-quality-control

Best,
Peter
--