[GRASS-user] Ability to model flash flooding

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 5 21:45:14 EDT 2011

   Ian,

You may want to look at some U.S. National Weather Service approaches
with what we call Flash Flood Guidance (FFG):

http://www.weather.gov/oh/hrl/gis/workshop3.html
http://www.weather.gov/oh/rfcdev/docs/ffgitreport.pdf

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1054&context=usdeptcommercepub&sei-redir=1#search=%22Application%20National%20Geographic%20Information%20System%20Database%22

Flash Flood prediction is the most problematic in hydrologic forecasting
because we must make predictions for small uncalibrated catchments and
at spatial rainfall scales where rainfall estimation can be fairly
suspect, even with raingauge-corrected radar estimates.

With FFG we try to estimate the amount of rainfall needed within, say, a
1-hour period, to bring the streams within an individual pixel (maybe,
1x1 km2 area) to bankfull conditions. Basically, two things are needed:

(1) estimates of the flow (runoff) needed to get to bankfull at each pixel
(2) in an operational setting, since basin conditions change (wetter or
dryer, for instance) calculating, through a modeling process, the amount
of rainfall needed to achieve (1) — this is the FFG; so, if that amount
of rainfall is either observed or is projected to occur, a flash flood
warning is issued.

Doing (2) is not too difficult; the problem is how to find reasonable
estimates of (1) and the references I cited describe some methods. There
is also an approach that tries to identify areas with high POTENTIAL for
flash flooding
(http://www.meted.ucar.edu/hazwarnsys/ffewsrg/FF_EWS.App.D.pdf) due to
physical characterisics: slope, soil type, forest density, percent
impervious, landuse, etc. The problem is translating the potential for
flash flooding to flash flood guidance, related to either observed or
predicted rainfall.

Regards,
Tom

On 8/5/11 9:23 AM, Ian Willis wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 09:32 +0200, peter.loewe at gmx.de wrote:
>> Hello Ian,
>>
>>> To learn how to use grass I've been trying to solve a real world
>>> problem. The problem that I chose was the flash flooding which occurred
>>> in south eastern Queensland. I'd like to see if grass could have
>>> provided reasonably accurate predictions and see if it could be used as
>>> a warning system.
>>> Ideally what I'd like to do is use the archived radar rainfall
>>> information from http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR503.loop.shtml#skip
>>> which can be found on http://gw.barratt.com.au/radar/IDR503/2011/01/10/
>>> I am intending extrapolate the rainfall rate using the Z value
>>> conversions recommended for east coast lows as per
>>> http://www.catchment.crc.org.au/pdfs/technical200207.pdf
>>> and then convert the rainfall rate rasters to the resolution of the
>>> aster dem.
>>> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>> some earlier weather-radar related work with GRASS can be found here:
>> http://gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grass04/viewpaper.php?id=44
>>
>> http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9671.2004.00178.x/abstract
>>
>> http://opus.bibliothek.uni-wuerzburg.de/frontdoor.php?source_opus=759&la=en [->  the document is in german, but the technical appendices might be of interest for you ->  Z/R realtionship, etc.]
>>
>> FWIW here's study concerning visual quality assessment for 3D radar-met data:
>> http://www.docstoc.com/docs/69767645/4D-data-visualisation-and-quality-control
>>
>> Best,
>> Peter
> Thanks for the info, I failed german when I was 13 but it might be
> interesting to see what a little motivation can do. :-)

Thomas E Adams
National Weather Service
Ohio River Forecast Center
1901 South State Route 134