[GRASS-user] Using non-ASCII characters in Legend display

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 13 00:58:36 EDT 2011

Markus wrote:
> I have to use a freetype font, for example "Vera":
> Then this:
>  echo "ciao: +èò" | d.text
> works, also d.legend in the X monitor.
>
> Note: Showing the legend fails in wxGUI because it
> falls back to the Hershey fonts.
>
> Suggestion: add from d.text these parameters to d.legend:
>
>    font   Font name
>    path   Path to font file
>    charset   Text encoding (only applicable to TrueType fonts)
>
> ... then the user can set also here directly the freetype
> font.

If the wxGUI is not respecting the font selection made in
the Preferences gui, I would much rather we fixed the wxGUI than
add work-around options to all d.* modules.  d.barscale is in
the same boat.

moreover, while the rest of the GUI has matured nicely, I find
that overlay system for the decorations continues to be rather
awkward and we should consider to rethink the approach of how
they are added.

did we ever come to a solid set of instructions for folks who
want to use a different font for different rendering layers in
the wxGUI layer-list? Something like a 'Add grid or vector layers
overlay*' -> 'Add command layer' with a d.font call before the
layer which displays the text? does d.legend respect the selected
font if you add it that way via a custom 'Add command layer'
entry?

[*] the pull-down menu tooltip description seems not to match
contents of the menu very well. perhaps 'Additional layer options' or so?

cheers,
Hamish