[GRASS-user] Using non-ASCII characters in Legend display

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Aug 13 05:19:33 EDT 2011

Hamish wrote:

> did we ever come to a solid set of instructions for folks who
> want to use a different font for different rendering layers in
> the wxGUI layer-list? Something like a 'Add grid or vector layers
> overlay*' -> 'Add command layer' with a d.font call before the
> layer which displays the text? does d.legend respect the selected
> font if you add it that way via a custom 'Add command layer'
> entry?

You can't use d.font in the GUI; it has no effect when using immediate
rendering. You have to set GRASS_FONT and GRASS_ENCODING in the
environment used for the d.* command.

The context menu in the layer list should have a "Set Font" option to
allow the font and encoding to be set on a per-command basis.