[GRASS-user] Points Map

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 23 17:02:39 EDT 2011

   When I first ran analyses and created maps for this project it was about
18 months ago, and my notes are not as complete as I would wish.

   I have an ASCII file with 5 rows and 3 columns: easting, northing, and
label. I ran that through v.in.ascii (after setting the region
appropriately) and it worked:

WARNING: Vector map <proj_pts> already exists and will be overwritten
Scanning input for column types...
Maximum input row length: 32
Maximum number of columns: 3
Minimum number of columns: 3
Column: 1 type: double
Column: 2 type: double
Column: 3 type: string length: 11
Importing points...
  100%
Populating table...
v.in.ascii complete.

   But, when I try to display this map GRASS tells me I cannot do so:

GRASS 6.5.svn (Oregon):~/grassdata/Oregon/beaver_lake > d.vect map=proj_pts
WARNING: Unable to display areas, topology not available

   I also cannot disply it using the gui.

   Since I'm not seeing what I'm not doing correctly I humbly ask for
assistance.

TIA,

Rich