[GRASS-user] Correcting A Map's Region

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Thu Aug 25 12:46:03 EDT 2011

Rich,

Since the region is a function of the mapset, not the map, what you need to do is to expand the region (computational or display) to include the map. You cannot change the 'map region' as it does not exist. Think of the region as a sort of window on the world. Your map may or may not be in the part of the world exposed by that window. If not, you need to change where the window looks not the the map.

The map does have a geospatial location, whose extents you can find by doing r.info map=[mapname]. To display the map, you need to change your region extents to encompass the map. If you want to see several maps in different geographic locations, you need to have a region big enough to encompass all their extents.

If you discover, when you expand your region to a size that encompasses the extents of all maps, that one map is 'misplaced' geographically, then you need to reimport or reposition the map geographically (i.e., with respect to its georeferencing). For a vector, you can shift it using v.proj. Shifting a raster is harder. I think it is doable, but I can't think of how to do it right now.

Hope this helps

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)