[GRASS-user] How to find the second largest value in a series of rasters.

Marcello Gorini gorini at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 15:30:39 EST 2011

Dear all,

I have to find the maximum value for each cell in a series of rasters and
generate both a maximum value map and a categorical map with the raster
number which contains the maximum value.

R.series is, therefore, perfect to accomplish that using
method=maximum,max_raster.

My problem is that I also need to find the *second largest* value and the
corresponding raster number which contains the second largest value.

I am doing that by iterating over all classes through a shell script, but it
obviously takes much more time than using a simple r.series command.

Can anyone share any idea on how to accomplish that using r.series or
something similar?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Best regards,
Marcello.