[GRASS-user] 6.4.2RC2 on ubuntu 10.04

Shane Litherland litherland-farm at bigpond.com
Fri Dec 23 07:23:05 EST 2011

Hi all,

been busy away from computer last several weeks.

Last I posted, was playing with ~RC1, and noting several little
glitches, at least one of which I was supposed to file a bug report
on... :-/
Have dusted off my login etc for doing that, and just installed the ~RC2
OK it seems, from source. used the advice on
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu
as I'd done for ~RC1, and seemed to do the trick.

Before I continue putting in bug reports I'm checking whether the
glitches I had in ~RC1 are (or are not) still there in ~RC2. I have so
far noted one small one regarding displaying of layers in wxgui (ticket
#1519).
Next on list is to check if issue that Moritz advised me on is still
there (as per email 22/11/11)

FYI, I used the following for the install:

sudo CFLAGS="-g -Wall" ./configure \
	--prefix=/usr \
	--enable-64bit \
	--with-libs=/usr/lib64 \
	--with-cxx \
	--with-postgres \
	--with-odbc \
	--with-gdal=/usr/bin/gdal-config \
	--with-python=/usr/bin/python2.6-config \
	--with-wxwidgets=/usr/bin/wx-config \
	--with-geos=/usr/bin/geos-config \
	--with-postgres-libs=/usr/include/postgresql/libpq \
	--with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/postgresql \
	--enable-largefile=yes \
	--with-includes=/usr/include \
	--with-proj-share=/usr/share/proj \
	--with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.4

briefly saw a few 'syntax error' messages fly by in the terminal during
install, but in the end there were zero errors reported and GRASS opens
up OK.

One thing I did note, is that the INSTALL file that comes with the ~RC2
file, had a note about compiling for 64 bit (which I have) and referred
to correctly configuring the FFTW2 with a -fPIC flag... as per the info
on above website, I have already apt-get a newer version (3.0 or 3.+?)
and I assume the apt-get would have done the 64-bit configuring... I
haven't seen any issues so far in operating GRASS anyhow. Though I
haven't done any number crunching that might employ FFTW. The note in
the install file may be worth updating though, if version 3+ is now
available and maybe it doesn't need specifically configuring for 64-bit
with the -fPIC flag?

Hope those comments are useful :-)
-shane.