[GRASS-user] "fe_sendauth: no password" even though password supplied

Aren Cambre aren at arencambre.com
Sun Feb 6 17:57:11 EST 2011

I am flamboozled by this error. I am running GRASS GIS 6.4 on Windows 7 32
bit.

I am running this command (user ID and password redacted):
*v.in.ogr -o "dsn=PG:dbname='de' host=localhost port=5432 user='XXX'
password='YYY' sslmode=disable" layer=consistent.master output=master_grass4
--verbose*

Here's the result:

*Over-riding projection check*
*Layer: consistent.master*
*Width for column school_zone set to 255 (was not specified by OGR), some
strings may be truncated!*
*Width for column vehicle_color set to 255 (was not specified by OGR), some
strings may be truncated!*
*Width for column offense_location set to 255 (was not specified by OGR),
some strings may be truncated!*
*Width for column work_zone set to 255 (was not specified by OGR), some
strings may be truncated!*
*DBMI-Postgres driver error:*
*Cannot connect to Postgres: fe_sendauth: no password*
*supplied*
*Unable to open database <host=localhost,dbname=de> by driver <pg>*
*ERROR: Unable open database <host=localhost,dbname=de> by driver <pg>*

I don't understand why I am getting the highlighted error. I am supplying
the user ID and password for the DB's root *and only* user. I know these are
correct; I've triple-checked. And it's able to read the database; otherwise
it wouldn't be able to see those four columns and complain about the width.

Am I missing something?

Aren Cambre