[GRASS-user] Resolving Region Mis-Match

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 25 14:15:55 EST 2011

   I'm starting a couple of analytical projects within the same state, using
grass6.5 on linux. The wxPython GUI fights me, I'm a CLI user from way back,
and I'm happily working on the command line in a virtual console.

   First task is to import all relevant data into a statewide location (which
I've called Nevada-ll because source data are in long/lat initially) and the
PERMANENT map set. I'll then create another location if these data are
reprojected (to UTM), and mapsets for each project.

   Starting grass65, I use g.region to set the defaults from the state
metadata file, in decimal degrees. g.region -p has this correc:

GRASS 6.5.svn (Nevada-ll):~/grassdata > g.region -p
projection: 99 (Albers Equal Area)
zone:       0
datum:      nad83
ellipsoid:  grs80
north:      42.939146
south:      34.306149
west:       -120.987956
east:       -112.451729
nsres:      8.632997
ewres:      8.536227
rows:       1
cols:       1
cells:      1

   The first file I'm importing is the county boundaries using v.in.e00. All
17 polygons were built and cleaned. However, when I try to display them
using d.mon, I get a region mis-match:

GRASS 6.5.svn (Nevada-ll):~/grassdata > d.vect map=counties
The bounding box of the map is outside the current region, nothing drawn.

   The metadata for the state outline and the counties outlines are the same.
I figured that this region will accommodate all statewide data (except,
perhaps hydrologic units that might expand into surrounding states). So I'm
surprised to learn that the map's bounding box is outside the current
region.  Obviously my work flow is flawed.  What have I missed here?

Rich