[GRASS-user] Points, Distances, and, Bearings.

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 22:36:02 EST 2011

Thomas wrote:
> I can get the Natural Earth data to
> display.  Neat.
>
> How do I enter a point, a bearing from that point, and a
> distance from that point, plot the point, the bearing line,
> and, the distance arc?

check out the d.rhumbline, d.geodesic, r.transect, r.profile,
and m.cogo modules.

also install the "proj-bin" package (assuming linux) and you
get the "geod" program which will calculate the start and end
points for you using a great-circle calculation.

are you using a lat/lon location? how large an area will your
plot cover? continental?

Hamish