[GRASS-user] Using Access .mdb Files

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jan 11 16:49:25 EST 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Stuart Edwards wrote:

> I've been trying to crack this one recently too.  Not much success.
> mdb-sqlite installs ok and the test case runs fine, but my mdb files seem
> to cause it to crash with a string of errors.

Stuart,

   Let me send you the file I just translated. It worked very well here.

> This behavior is noted by others and I haven't been able to reach the
> author.

   Perhaps the Access file was written using a version other than 2000, which
is what mdb-sqlite currently supports. It's not unknown for Microsoft to
make application versions incompatible with former versions and not provide
automatic conversion.

   I, too, noticed that the web site had no contact information for the
authors. Unusual.

> One thing that was quite useful is a little freebie called
> AccessReaderAndWriter -

   No Windows here. After all, computers are like air conditioners: they both
stop working when you open Windows.

Rich